Answered By: ESC Sara Last Updated: Oct 31, 2023 Views: 493
There are a few things to check to help us determine whether this is a library login problem or a university login problem.
- Check Library News & Alerts on the library homepage to see if the database is down. If yes, then the article will explain what you may expect.
- Check My.SUNYEmpire.edu to see if there is some kind of university-wide problem. If yes, then the notification will explain what to expect. If you are unable to log in to My.SUNYEmpire.edu or your online courses, please contact the IT Service Desk. This is not a library issue.
- Is the library link you are clicking located in an online course? It's possible your instructor didn't format the link properly. Please ask your instructor for the full citation for the source s that you may look it up in the library directly. Also, ask your instructor to contact the library for help with formatting.
- Do you get a message that says Access Denied? If yes, just wait 30 minutes or so, and your access will be restored. This just means your login ID was noted for downloading a significant amount of material over a short time, and the system wants to make sure you're a legitimate user.
- Are you currently enrolled in any courses? Are they active? If not, then you will not be able to access library resources until you/they are.
- Are you an alumnus of SUNY Empire? Alumni have access to a separate Alumni Library.
- Were you an alumnus of SUNY Empire before you re-enrolled? There is a known problem where current students who were alumni are unable to access library resources. Please contact the IT Service Desk and explain that you may be in both university address books. They'll know how to fix it from there.
- If you are an adjunct, are you currently teaching any courses? Only actively teaching adjuncts have access to library resources.
- Retired faculty members only have access to library resources as long as their SUNY Empire email accounts are still active.
If you ARE currently affiliated with SUNY Empire and, are able to log in to My.SUNYEmpire.edu and your online courses, but still cannot log in to library databases:
Try logging in to databases from different vendors. For example, if you cannot log in to an EBSCOhost database, try logging in to Proquest or Gale database.
If you are able to log into some databases but not others, then we know it is a library problem. Contact us directly so that we may submit a ticket to the vendor.
Or call us 800-847-3000, ext. 2222
- Sun-Thu: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
July - August:
- Mon-Thu: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Please note: Ask a Librarian is closed during the Spring, Summer and Winter breaks. Academic librarians from the Ask Us 24/7 consortium are available to help any time via chat when Ask a Librarian is closed.